December 31, 2014 | Thoughts on Art
This previous year brought with it seven revelations..Have I applied them? Initially, the revelations touch us in a very profound way. But do we truly understand them? And what is understanding anyway? If we understand mentally, do we really?
I know that ancients didn’t have access to as much information as we do. They had just one teaching/book at hand. They would read each sentence/teaching over and over again and the understanding would constantly change, become deeper. I can relate to this with my Sumi-e and Tai Chi practice. Same moves, strokes, over and over again, day after day, and each stroke/move, each time bringing deeper understanding and connection. Can I say that I know Sumi-e or Tai Chi now, after so many years of practice?
Right after that post, I made a decision to interpret 600 BC Chinese philosopher and poet Lao Tzu’s “Tao Te Ching” from an artist’s point of view. In its obscure, yet fascinating philosophies, I am finding more understanding of the life process and myself. It comes to me more experientially, which makes the writing even more challenging. This is when the intelligence doesn’t serve but hinders the understanding
What am I taking with me into the next year?
1) To, as they say, “go with the flow”, be flexible.
2) To accept everything that comes my way (without labeling).
3) To try not to understand everything… things are clearer without the understanding….when the mind is empty.
4) To trust my own feelings, as they are much more intelligent than my mind ….
5) There is much more to nothingness than one can imagine.
6) The less has more….the simple is rich.
7) We come to this world with all the real knowledge, which we lose in the process of “growing up”, with supervision from those who have forgotten as well….to remember.
Just like in Sumi-e painting, by working with contrasts, I am trying to create harmony on the paper of my life…..
Old Wisdom …indeed.
Happy New Year!